Fun with Gelatos
Gelatos by Faber Castell brings a whole new meaning to art. If you don't know what they are, they are like crayon but water soluble - so that when you add water to it, it becomes like paint. It's creamy and looks like a chapstick.
I only have 6 colors of Gelatos .. and will be buying more soon :) So, before the new colors arrive, I thought I'd show you (for those who are new to this product) some of the techniques you can use with Gelatos.
First up, I call this the water stain technique.
1. Choose a stamp of your choice and stamp it with archival ink (so that it will not leak when in contact with water)
2. Use the Gelatos and paint right onto your craft mat. If you do not have one, you can use an acrylic block.
3. Then mist it with some water. Here, it's up to you how much water you want to add. The more water, the less vibrant the colors will be.
4. Take your card and put it right on top of the misted Gelatos. If you think you need more color, simply repeat step 2 & step 3.
And here's my final card after adding a sentiment banner right on top. Don't you think the colors are just gorgeous? I used the metallic Gelatos and it has the glitter to it. If you don't have those, you can use some pearlescent spray instead of water when you are misting it up.
Next, is the coloring with Gelatos technique.
1. Choose your favorite stamp and ink it with some Archival ink
2. Next, just color with the Gelatos right onto your stamped image. If you want to blend the colors in, use your finger or a paintbrush. I find the finger works best.
3. Cut the images you just colored and add it to your card as embellishment. Easy peezy :)
As you can see, I added some dimensional pearls on the butterflies for that extra pop.
And the last technique is the watercoloring technique.
1. Choose your favorite stamp (Rubber stamps work best with this technique)
2. Spray some water onto your craft mat or acrylic block
3. Dab the Gelatos on to the water and color your stamp
4. Stamp the watercolored image onto your card
As you can see, these little sticks of paint gives you plenty to play with. There are many more techniques I could show you, so do come back for more upcoming tips with the Gelatos.
Supplies used: Metallic Gelatos (Faber Castell) / Stamps (Unity Stamp) / Paper (Amy Tangerine)